from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Friday, October 2, 2015

the long road in

I took a mini pilgrimage to Lehututu, a final good by before I leae Botswana. We were taken to site--the three of the new PCVs placed in the Hukuntsi area. Three girls and their two years worth of possessions and a puppy crammed into the back of a pickup truck.

I remember driving down the 5 kilometer road for the first time. Seeing the expansive salt pan that seemed to go on forever.

I think it was the longest 5 kilometers I have ever traveled.


We came before the rains. Before green and the yellow flowers that erupt everywhere. Before the cows get fat and baby goats play.



I grew to love the ride in, my house was in the center of the village just a short walk away from the bus stop. Every time on my way in I would look for my little yellow house with colored curtains. And smile because I was home. 

This time in--it was no different, except it wasn’t my little yellow house with colorful curtains. And the rain had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment