from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Friday, October 2, 2015

Nuances of brown

On September 14, 2012 after landing in Botswana a mere 30-some hours earlier I journey from Gaborone to Kanye.

I still remember the looking out the bus window and feeling a myriad of emotions wash over me. Depression. Excitement. Dread. Joy. Nerves.

I remember looking out in the brown scraggly bush of a landscape wondering how I would ever grow to love a place that was brown.

Telling myself to love the brown. See the beauty in your new home.

Three years later almost to the date, I made the same journey from Gaborone to Kanye...




It isn’t just brown. Greyish-brown, green-brown, bone-brown, sandy-brown. There are so many nuances in such a simple color.

There are so many nuances in this simple thing I call my life.

I have grown to love Botswana and all its brown. There is something rich in all the brown. In all the scraggly bushes, the people, dried up stream beds, hard packed sand in the east and the deep red sand of the Kalahari. When I depart, I hope that the nuances of brown stay with me and over time more shades appear.

1 comment:

  1. Such wisdom comes only with experience, not age. I'm excited to see what is tocome as you turn to the next page of your life.

    ReplyDelete