from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Sunday, October 27, 2013

International Feast

 
The International Feast is one of my favorite traditions in life, it was started many years ago (2008 maybe) when when my friends and I were trying to plan a dinner party. We couldn’t pick the menu-then it was suggested we should have a dish from every continent. Yes that is right-every continent. It sounded like a breeze! How hard will it be? I don’t even remember what we served for the first feast, I do remember that Antarctica was represented by a chocolate cake with white frosting and glaciers. Abby and I went to Target and found plastic polar bears to put on the cake as well. Yes, we do know that polar bears are not found in the Antarctic...The feast was epic. We ate and drank way too much. Then we had to plan another one.
 
Epic as well, so we planned another one....





Fast forward to 2013 and we are on feast number 5. We hold these feasts about once a year, we used to have them when Maddie was back from South Africa or friends came up from St. Louis. It was only natural to have a feast when I was back in town.
 
In the beginning we each mastered a continent, I usually get North America. I usually make something really American like Macaroni and Cheese topped with pigs in a blanket baked in the oven or a favorite-Mini-corn dogs. It gets even better in the batter you put bacon and cheese then deep fat fry the whole thing! Its heart healthy I swear!
 
This years feast was epic. We all ate way to much, but defiantly toned down the drinking--we were too full. The menu was as follows:
 
 
Starters: North America-mini corn dogs with bacon and cheese in the batter, Antarctica-smoked salmon moussese (its a stretch there are fatty fish in Antarctic and salmon is a fatty fish), Australia-Crocodile with a citrus glaze, just for fun Kibbeh (Middle Eastern tasty goodness)
Main: Africa-Cape Malay Curry and Asia-Bulgogi
Grande finale: South America-Caramel Apple Empenadas--which you must say really fast (its funny to say and to write I promise)
Beverages: Europe-Sangria
 

 
The Amazing Maddie (and me of course!)!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment