from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Only in Botswana...

They say that the Peace Corps changes you, it does. I am only a few months shy of being in country for one year, but months ago I was already able to recognize some of the ways I have changed....

Humor:
I live next to a cattle kraal, where cattle are placed when they are being inspected for bride prices, children or other cattle selling activities. I have spent many many many an hour watching and laughing at men attempting to load cattle up a ramp onto the back of their trucks. Cattle are unwilling to venture up the ramp when there is a truck at the other end (its like they know...) On Sunday, instead of watching tv. I watched with great joy as cattle escaped from the kraal, they climbed up the ramp and jumped off it--yes, cows can fly. The escaped cows then waited around till every cow escaped from the kraal. Then they fled into the darkness.

Germs:
Living without electricity is a daily adventure. So is testing the bounds of food science. I think that in America...we are ninnies when it comes to germs...we are also ninnies when it comes to "food safety" Stateside, I would never never never dream of eating milk or any food for that matter past the expiration date. Mo Botswana--I paid for it. I am eating it damn-it. My potatoes are a little moldy, no biggie, just heat it up. Your milk smell? Nah-you will just have the runs for a few hours. Have I given myself food poisoning, you bet. I have I learned from it...sure ain't.

At Jwaneng bus rank you can buy "Russians" aka foot long hot dogs. They are worth the 12 Pula you pay for them! I always treat myself to Russian to make it through a bus ride. I was sitting, getting ready to bite into my spicy Russian when a man sneezes on it. Yes, sneezes on my Russian. At first I was repulsed. I even gave the man a death glare. However, after careful inspection of my prize-worthy Russian, I decided it was safe to eat. So I ate it.

Free time:
What do I do for fun in the bush? Why a lot of things, mostly, my weekend activities surround me sitting under a tree or on my stoop watching goats. Its really a good way to pass the time.

What annoys me:
Public transport fare. Within the time I have been in Botswana, the prices were raised 5%, thats noting really. But a combi ride is now P3.50...not P3.30! Out rage!

What doesn't annoy me:
Water shortages. Its an excuse for me not to bathe (especially in the winter....)
The fact that it takes about an hour to get 15 kilometers.

No comments:

Post a Comment