from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fire and Floods....

Several weeks ago, I had a small house fire. No, nothing that major...but a candle tipped over ruining some important items. Luckily I caught it in time and was able to put it out with water. Needless to say, I was heart broken when I discovered I burnt some pictures and a quote bag my dear friend Amanda made me. I was determined to salvage what I could. I set out the remains of photos and quotes to dry on my flood and went about my life.

The next day I left....only to return many many hours later and my house was flooded. I am still not sure how my tap was on...but it was. Water stood inches and inches in my kitchen and had spread into my bedroom and living room. Again, it could have been a lot worse....

As I was cleaning up I noticed that a quote was burnt on a picture from masters cohort it was "The world is full of a number of things. I am sure we should all be as happy as kings" -Robert Stevenson

I had paused to reflect on that poetic irony...treasures were lost, my house flooded all in a matter of hours. Not to mention my patiences and will was tried. But the world is full of many things. And I am as happy as a king.

I have found one of the greatest things Peace Corps can teach me, is the ability to reflect. My day to day life seems mundane at times. I can't count relationships I am building on my VRF...but I can count my daily treasures.

So here is to being here and living in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment