from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Reading is FUN!

Recently at school I started our own version of “accelerated reader” at my Junior School. For y’all who don’t know, accelerated reader is a reading comprehension program throughout school districts in America. You read books and answer questions--easy peasy right? Not always....the questions are deigned for the reader build their English comprehension.

The schools in Botswana are taught in English, as English is one of the official language of Botswana. I have very mixed feelings about this...mainly they surround the fact that the students at my school have a very poor comprehension of English. English is taught in school from Primary 2 (aka 2nd grade) by the time students are in Junior School (8th, 9th and 10th grade) the students are to be fluent...Well, thats the goal anyways. In all honesty, most of the kiddos at my school are not fluent in English--the grades are horrible as a result. Where has it gone wrong? I blame it on the teachers and the teaching style, of course not all of  it is their fault....but....

As a result, I started a reading program at my school. I was inspired by other PCVs who have similar programs in their schools. I was also inspired by my own students, I teach English remedial in the library and the kids who attend just LOVE to read the books.

The students read a book and complete a simple book report form describing the book to me. After they read 1, 3, 6 and 10 books they receive a prize! Let me tell you, last week at school the kids almost fought over the books!

On a personal note, I have read about 150 books since I have been in Botswana which averages 7.5 books a month! Now, I must admit, some of the books are mindless romance novels (Nora Roberts and Danielle Steel....) but others were more thought provoking. I have to admit, Nora Roberts, while she is my go to mindless read--she is a little predictive. Somewhere along 5% boy meets girl, then about 50% girl will go out with boy (or vise versa) then they will have MIND BLOWING sex then about 85% they will get into a fight then at about 95% the boy will realize how amazing the girl is then propose a very sudden marriage. Then at 99% they are married and its about 5 months into the marriage and they are expecting a child. Don’t judge me--sometimes you need a little romance in your life....


No comments:

Post a Comment