from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nako e botlhokwa


Time is relevant. It feels like just yesterday I flew to Philly for staging. It seems like just yesterday I left for Missoula. It seems like just yesterday my PaPa made me hot cocoa out of my favorite mug. 

But it wasn’t. 

Just yesterday I spent the day in a results analysis meeting; hearing about the sorry state that our schools are in. Just yesterday, I got two care packages from my family that made my day. Just yesterday I didn’t bathe because the water was off in the morning. Just yesterday I awoke to the news that a bomb went off at the Boston Marathon and peoples lives were forever changed. 

My Peace Corps journey has flown by, but at the same time days feel like they drag on. In August, we are welcoming Bots-14 to this crazy journey and Bots-10 is wrapping up and departing over the next several weeks. Which means...by departure is coming around the bend (time is relevant). 

I have been struggling lately with the feeling that I am not doing much. Every so often I catch up on my blog reading or someone posts on Facebook about a neat project they are doing. I think to myself, what have I done? At times its hard to remember that 2 of the 3 of the goals of Peace Corps are cultural exchange. At times its hard to remember that its the small things in life and the lessons learned. 

So heres to the small things in life....

Watching the starts peek out as the sun leaves the horizon. The stars here are like nothing I have ever seen before...

or 

Sitting on my stoop in the morning watching the absolutely picturesque sun rise--everything looks new and hopefully, the clouds are a silvery pink. Then having Merrill (Griff and I named the puppy on my compound) rush over to me, like I have been gone for ages, for a morning snuggle.

or

Running into my favorite, now retired, cleaning lady from school. Who always to time and patience to help me with Sekgalagadi.

or

Learning how to kill a chicken....

or

Learning how to hitch hike 

or 

Learning how to laugh at myself (again and again and again) 

or 

Learning the art of humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment