from a snowy walk in the Rattlesnake, Missoula, Montana

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ms. Frizzle


There are times every once in a while that you are suddenly struck with a realization--as if a lightning bolt came out of the sky...or in the cartoons a light bulb goes off in your head. Today was one of those days. 

Growing up, I had never particularly valued my education. I valued my education, but I didn’t VALUE it. All my life I floated along, going from grade to grade, then college, then I worked, then I went back for a Masters on my own dime. My Masters was when I started to “get more bang for my buck” perhaps it was because I was older, doing something I loved or signing the student loan papers...But today was when the lighting bolt hit me. 

The storm has been brewing for a few weeks now...and the lighting struck today. 

I am placed at the Junior Secondary School--its like 8th, 9th and 10th grade rough equivalents in US schools--but its oh so different. The education system is taught in English. My students are coming from Setswana, Sekgalagadi and a few more languages spoken in their homes. Students start “learning” English in form 2. I do not mean to insult the teachers, but the students only have a loose grasp on English--there is no real comprehension. Teachers teach in “chalk and talk” where they write on the board and read it. The students do a so-so job of memorizing statements and then putting the pieces together on exams. 

Three weeks ago I walked into my first classroom. I have never taught students this age before. Frankly, I was anxious...but I walked in and I did it. And you know what--I freaken loved it. For those who don’t know, I teach Guidance and Counseling classes aka self awareness, safe sex, goal setting...all that good “life skills” stuff. Today, I was back in the classroom. What did we do, you might ask? We made paper airplanes. Yes, thats right, paper airplanes. We were talking about self awareness and the kids were having a hard time identifying their likes and dislikes. I have them put down their pens, we made paper airplanes---everyone had a blast and then we related that fun activity to our likes. Granted, I am sure the other teachers won’t appreciate the 40 new paper airplanes that are floating around school....Or the time three weeks ago when I taught the kids how to play “Kingdom, Wisdom, Condom” and the students ran around point at their crotch yelling condom....

(Ahem, Lighting bolt) So, This I Believe. Education--not just going to school. Education is participatory, inclusive and fun. Lessons are tied to an activity that encourages the students to act--more around--be engaged--push their minds. Classes are all infused together--so when a student learns about the government structure in Social Students he will think about that when writing his business plan in Business Studies--Or channel Langston Hughes from English class when doing an Art piece. 

This is my mission. When I teach, I want the students to feel my excitement. Most importantly, make the connection between our activity and the lesson. As a side note, I also try to channel Mrs. Frizzle (yes, from the Magic School Bus) when planning my lessons. 
So damn. I have been lucky. So lucky indeed to have an education, that has given me the power to think critically, grow, fail--get up again, freedom, dreams, and most of all understand the POWER that an education can have on a person. 

So a thank you, to all my inspirational teachers throughout the years:
Mrs. Taylor-1st grade and Mrs. Bullard, in the 3rd grade at Broadmoore Elementary (she was like our own Mrs Frizzle) and Mr. Hull--8th grade Louisiana History at L.J. Alleman Middle School. Now, Mr. Hull scared the crap out of me (and every other student) however, he taught us, and he taught us well. Still to this day, I could recite Louisiana history backwards and forwards and the plight of the Acadians coming down from Nova Scotia area (shocked and awed right??)

And of course-I have had some pretty awesome professors over the years. But that’s a later post...


2 comments:

  1. Mr. Hull is perhaps my favorite teacher from Middle School and the one teacher I honestly can remember the most about prior to college! I would love to thank him for being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Hull was a bright spot in a rough period of my life. I, too, would love to thank him for challenging his students to be and do their best.

    ReplyDelete